About the EVERST4K Expedition

Everest4K is not only a expedition project, campaign and TV production but the fulfillment of a dream of two friends facing their chance of a lifetime. Working on Everest!

Expedition / Team / Route / Partners

DISPATCH #3, April 14, Approach After crossing the border and staying one night in Zhangmu at 2700m we drove up to Nyalam at 3700m. It was an incredible drive on a good road through a gorge which cut deep into the Himalayan main ridge.

Unfortunately Nyalam is not the world’s most beautiful city. Typical Chinese concrete buildings have replaced the former Tibetan character of the village buildings almost completely. The surrounding landcape makes up for it though, the view is fantastic. There are high mountains of the main Himalaya chain on three sides of us and in the North lies the dry Tibetan plateau. It feels good to be in the mountains again.

On the day we got here we only made a small walk around the city as we are starting to feel the lack of acclimatisation that comes with all those car rides. The altitude difference already feels pretty tough right now. Yesterday we climbed up a ridge to 4400m and stayed there for a while. During our ascent we were accompanied by a little dog. Obviously she found it quite tough as well. Nils got little headache, while Hannes still feels fine. Now it is important to move slowly and to give the body the time it needs. If we push too hard now we might get sick later and that would cause a lot more problems.

This morning the scheduled plan was to get into the jeeps and drive to Tingri (4250m), but bad weather crossed our plans. It started snowing heavily during the night and now we have about 15 to 20cm of fresh snow on the road. It’s still snowing as we type this, unfortunately. Since we will have to cross a 5000m pass on the road the local police did not grant us permission to set off. We keep our fingers crosssed. Hopefully we will make it out of here today or tomorrow!







Expedition will not be continued

DISPATCH #9 April 27,  Base Camp at 5150m 
This morning Alix von Melle and Luis Stitzinger, Alexander Brutscher (BR) as well as Nils Peuse and Hannes K√ľnkel (Third Pole) decided to cancel their Everest 2015 expedition in light of the tragic events that have occurred and are still occurring on Mt. Everest and in Nepal.

Earth quake in Nepal

DISPATCH #8 April 25,  Base Camp at 5150m 
As we were waiting for lunch at around 12am the Himalaya was hit by a massive earthquake. The earth was shaking heavily for at least 30 seconds followed by rockfall from the debris flanks.

Into the ice of Everest

DISPATCH #7 April 22,  Base Camp at 5150m 
We left Base Camp for the first time to hike up to an intermediate Camp at 5750m. We followed the glacier tongue of Rongbuk glacier before climbing up into the right tributary of the Eastern Rongbuk glacier which will lead us up to the North Col (7050m).

Adapting to high altitude

DISPATCH #6 April 21,  Base Camp at 5150m 
When we got out of the bus three days ago our single tents had been already pitched by the Sherpa crew so we only had to pitch our production tent. What sounds easy is really hard work when you are not acclimatized and by now we definitely are not.